The full form of BCA is Bachelor in Computer Application. BCA is a three-year undergraduate degree program for candidates wishing to delve into the world of Computer languages. One of the most popular options to get started with a career in Information Technology, the course gives you an insight into the world of computers and their applications.
BCA is a 3-year-long Undergraduate Level Bachelor’s Degree program. The three years duration is divided into 6 semesters, each lasting a period of 6 months. BCA program has lots to do with Computer Science and programming. Students are given knowledge on topics like Programming languages, hardware, and software, computer networks, World Wide Web, Database Management, Multimedia, etc.
A BCA degree is considered to be at par with a BTech/BE degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. The degree helps interested students in setting up a sound academic base for an advanced career in Computer Applications.
Eligibility for BCA Course
To pursue a BCA program, one need not have Physics, Chemistry, and Maths as subjects in Class 12th. In fact, candidates who have pursued Arts or Commerce in class XII can also join the course.
Basic eligibility requirements for a BCA course:
- Aspirants must have passed 10+2 from any stream with English as a subject with a minimum of 45% to 55% marks in aggregate (the pass percentage might vary from college to college)
- While some colleges/universities admit aspirants on a merit basis, others admit students on the basis of personal interviews and written examinations.
Note: The eligibility criteria might differ from college to college.
BCA: Course Highlights
The tabulated data below represents some major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Counseling after qualification of entrance examination|
|Top recruiting organizations||IT & Software Companies|
|Top recruiting areas||Software Development, Testing, Digital Marketing, etc.|
|Average Course Fee||Rs 70,000 – 2 Lakh|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs 2 Lakh – 8 Lakh|
BCA Top Companies & Jobs
In the ever-growing, IT industry, the demand for BCA graduates is increasing rapidly. With a BCA degree, candidates can find lucrative job opportunities in the private as well public sector.
Some of the leading IT companies recruiting BCA graduates include Oracle, IBM, Infosys, and Wipro. Government organizations like the Indian Air Force(IAF), the Indian Army, and the Indian Navy hire a large number of computer professionals for their IT departments.
Some of the job profiles that one can bag after completing a BCA program is that of a:
- System Engineer
- Software Tester
- Junior Programmer
- Web Developer
- System Administrator
- Software Developer
As far as the salary is concerned, a fresher working for a leading MNC might get a salary ranging from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month. However, it was reported that IT giants like Facebook, Microsoft, etc pay a six-figure salary to fresh graduates they hire.
What after BCA?
This is one of the most common questions asked by candidates. You could give an instant thrust to your career by pursuing an MCA (Masters of Computer Applications) after BCA.
However, there are other options too that you could consider doing after completing your BCA degree:
- Prepare for CAT and go for an MBA in IT Management
- Complete your Master’s degree by studying MSC (IT)
- Go for a networking diploma and prepare for CCNP or CCNA certification
- Prepare for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Certification or Redhat certifications and work as a System Administrator or Desktop Technician or Help desk Assistant.
- You could also improve your teaching skills and work as a computer teacher/instructor in school, universities and colleges
- If you are good in web programming then improve your coding skills and make your career in Web Development. You can also work as an independent web designer.
- A lot of BCA graduates also go for government jobs. You could consider one too.