Today, We will know about BSc Computer Science – Courses after 12th: how to admission, their Syllabus, Subjects, Colleges, Jobs, Salary.
BSc Computer Science, abbreviated as BSc CS, is a 3-year undergraduate program with the subjects and topics related to computer science, computer application, and its services. The main aim of this program is to create quality professionals and research fellows who can work in every sector of the world by implementing the technology of computer systems and software.
BSc Computer Science (B.Sc CS) is one of the most popular programs in the IT domain. This field has the potential to propel your career. It is a consistently growing field with a large variety of job opportunities both in India and abroad as the industry and demand grow. This degree can lead you to profiles like computer scientist or an information systems manager or a networking specialist whose job is to draw the technological roadmap for the organization, ensure efficient management of the available computer facilities, handle smooth functioning of the local area and wide area networking, implement cybersecurity systems, look after software and hardware system upgrading, and manage system designing and technical analysis for the organization.
The procedure for BSc Computer Science admission is mostly on the basis of merit. The basic BSc Computer Science eligibility is a minimum aggregate of 50% in Class 12 with PCM as compulsory subjects.
BSc Computer Science colleges are usually offered in regular mode, but there are options to opt for BSc Computer Science Distance Education as well in IGNOU and some other Universities.
Some esteemed colleges conduct an entrance examination for the admission process. The top entrance exams for this course are BHU UET, CUCET.
What is BSc Computer Science
The 3 years BSc Computer Science course allows the candidates to learn about the different architectures related to computer networking, operating system, and programming languages. The course can be pursued as a replacement for a BTech in Computer Science.
One major advantage of this course is that the candidates can save one year as compared to the engineering course.
Benefits of BSc Computer Science
The following are the BSc Computer Science benefits that the candidates can avail themselves if they take up the course:
- The Indian IT sector is expected to grow strongly in the coming years, and is estimated to contribute 10% to the nation’s GDP. Thus, it increases the scope of job opportunities in the IT sector.
- The graduates of BSc Computer Science can land jobs in a wide range of companies such as computer hardware system companies, computer networking companies, software development companies, academic institutions and many more.
- Similarly, the graduates can make the world a safer place by taking the job of security engineers who protects the people from hackers and other malicious software.
- The candidates would also be open to research because the field of study is continuously morphing.
Who study BSc Computer Science?
- Interest in computers, both hardware and software should pursue this course.
- Want to develop mobile applications or software that eases the life of people can pursue this course.
- Want to become entrepreneurs after completing their graduation can opt for this course. It allows them to start their own consultancy firms.
- Interested in improving their knowledge about computers to get a promotion or improve their career prospects can opt for distance or online courses.
When BSc in Computer Science
- The most ideal time to pursue this course would be immediately after the completion of the 12th or equivalent examination.
- Candidates can start with this course after completion of the relevant diploma course immediately and gain admission to the second year of the course via lateral entry scheme.
Facts about BSc Computer Science
Here are some of the important facts that the candidates must know about BSc Computer Science.
- The basic eligibility of the course is 50% marks in the 12th or equivalent exam in the science stream
- The admissions are done on the basis of the merit list. However, top colleges and universities prefer entrance exams, like KEAM, NEST, CUCET.
- The BSc computer science fees range between INR 3-7 Lacs depending on the colleges and universities.
- To Study BSc Computer Science Abroad the candidates must pass the various English proficiency exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, PETs.
- Working professionals can pursue the program through Distance mode. The average fees of the distance mode range between INR 19,600 to INR 54,000.
- Aspirants can also pursue the course in online mode keeping the pandemic in mind. The online courses are provided by different websites such as Coursera, Alison, Futurelearn, and many more.
- The BSc Computer Science Syllabus contains subjects related to programming, computer networking, and architecture. The common subjects are Introduction to Data structures, system programming, introduction to web technology, and many more.
- Candidates after completing the course can opt for higher education. Some of the courses that a candidate can pursue are MSc Computer Science, MTech Computer Science, MBA Information Technology, etc.
- The course provides students a great deal to enter the real world where ambitious computer science professionals can showcase their skills as Software Developer, System Integrator, System Analyst among other job profiles.
- A BSc Computer Science graduate can earn a salary up to INR 6 lacs.
For any Discussion: https://discuss.eduguru.in
BSc Computer Science : Overview
|BSc Computer Science Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
|BSc Computer Science Duration||3 Years|
|BSc Computer Science Eligibility||50% or above in the science stream|
|BSc Computer Science Admission Mode||Merit-Based/Entrance Based (In some cases)|
|BSc Computer Science Average Fee||INR 3-7 Lakhs|
|BSc Computer Science Syllabus||Introduction to Data structures, system programming, introduction to web technology, mobile applications development, python programming, and many more.|
|BSc Computer Science Job Profiles||Software Engineer, Software Developer, Systems Architect, Web developer, Mobile App developer, Website Designing, Network Engineer, Data Analyst, etc.|
|BSc Computer Science Top Recruiters||HCL, Google, Microsoft, Deloitte, Facebook, Sapient Publicis, Central Government Organizations, IBM, Cognizant, etc.|
|BSc Computer Science Average Salary Offered||Up to INR 6 Lakhs per annum|
BSc Computer Science and BTech Computer Science
|Parameters||BSc Computer Science||BTech Computer Science|
|Degree||Undergraduate (Bachelor of Science)||Undergraduate (Bachelor of Technology)|
|Duration||3 years||4 years|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based/ Entrance exam||Entrance Exams like JEE, TANCET, SET, etc.|
|Course Overview||BSc Computer Science deals with the theoretical knowledge and skills in the field of computer science and its applications in the real world for various uses.||BTech Computer Science is an undergraduate engineering course, which specifically focuses on various technologies and tools and their applications in the computer science and IT industry.|
|Average Fees||INR 20,000-60,000||INR 1,00,000-3,00,000|
|Top Colleges||Delhi University, Christ University, VIT University, St. Xavier’s College, Fergusson College, etc.||IITs, BITS Pilani, VIT University, PES College, Rajasthan Technical University, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 6 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
Admission to BSc Computer Science : BSc Computer Science Eligibility
The minimum eligibility criteria for this course is:
- Students must have cleared higher secondary classes (Class 12) from a recognized board with 50%-60% of the score.
- The stream should be science with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Having computer Science is also favorable in some universities.
- For lateral entry, colleges such as Annamalai University offer admission in the 2nd year of the program, for which the student must have a minimum of 75% marks in the previous year of the program in the same discipline or 3 year diploma in the technical field after Class 10.
- The qualification basis for International candidates is at least 50% in the passing assessment and having studied the pre-essential subjects for entrance into the program.
Merit Based Admission in BSc Computer Science
- Most of the colleges and universities grant merit-based admission to the BSc Computer Science program.
- The application forms are made available every year in the months of May and June. However, the release of the form may change depending on the Covid scenario.
- After going through all the application forms, the colleges then declare a cut-off list, and students who fulfill the cut off are eligible to take admission in that particular college or university.
- The students need to pay the admission fees to complete the admission process.
Entrance Based Admission in BSc Computer Science
- Few colleges and universities conduct entrance examination to select the students
- The syllabus for these exams has questions from Class X-XII in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. It may also include General English as well.
- Around 60% weightage is given to the performance in the entrance exam and 40% is given to the percentage scored in Class 12.
- Candidates need to visit the different websites to check the notices on a daily basis.
- Candidates must fill the necessary details and submit the application fees. They must keep the receipt for future reference.
- Candidates must look to score well in the entrance exam.
- If selected the candidates must appear for the counselling process and secure the seats.
BSc Computer Science Entrance Examination
The following are the different entrance exams that are considered by the top colleges or universities for admission to the BSc Computer Science Course.
- The CUCET entrance Exam is conducted by the Rajasthan Central University.
- The entrance examination is to be held in offline mode.
- The Total duration of the exam is 2 hours.
- The entrance exam is used by colleges and universities to grant admission to the various UG and PG courses.
- The BHU UET is an entrance exam conducted by the Banaras Hindu University for admission to the different UG courses.
- The exam is held in online mode and the duration of the exam is 2 hours 30 minutes.
- There are about 8000 seats available for this examination.
- The Questions are in MCQ pattern.
BSc Computer Science: Recommended Books
The following are the books that are mostly used as references in top colleges in India for the BSc Computer Science curriculum
|Reference Books||Author Name|
|Programming with Java||E. Balagurusamy|
|Programming in ANSI C||E. Balagurusamy|
|Fundamentals of Database Systems||Ramez Elmasri|
|Mathematical structures for Computer Science||Judith L. Gersting|
|Theory of Computer Science||K. L. P. Mishra and N. Chandrasekaran|
Distance BSc Computer Science
The BSc Computer science program is offered in distance mode so that the course can be pursued by individuals who are working professionals and are not able to pursue the course in regular mode.
Distance BSc Computer Science Admission Process 2021
The admission to the distance education course in different colleges remains more or less the same. The eligibility and other requirements are:
- The candidates should have completed their 12th or equivalent exam from a recognized board with science stream
- The candidates must secure 55% marks in their 12th or equivalent examination.
- There is no upper age limit for admission in distance mode.
- Certificate from the employer can reduce the minimum marks requirements.
- Those belonging to SC,ST and OBC communities need to produce relevant documents at the time of admission.
- The duration of the course is 3 to 6 years.
Distance BSc Computer Science Top Colleges
The Top Colleges in India Offering BSc Computer Science in distance mode are:
|Wisdom School of Management||Lucknow|
|Dr CV Raman University||Bilaspur|
|University of Kerala||Thiruvananthapuram|
|Punjab Technical University||Kapurthala|
BSc Computer Science Top Colleges in India
In India, this course is taught in both regular mode or part-time mode in colleges in states such as New Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, etc.
Some of the best colleges for BSc Computer Science are:
|Delhi University||New Delhi|
|St. Xavier’s College||Mumbai|
|Mithibai College of Arts||Mumbai|
|The Oxford College of Science||Bangalore|
|Sacred Heart College||Ernakulam|
|St. Joseph’s College Devagiri||Calicut|
|Ethiraj College for Women||Chennai|
In colleges such as Loyola College, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya, and others, there are opportunities to find paid internships as a part of the course curriculum.
BSc Computer Science Jobs and Salary
On the successful completion of the program, one can start working as:
- Systems analyst
- Information technology manager
- Software programmer
- Network programmer
- Cyber Security Manager
- Computer Graphics
- Database manager
This can be called one of the highest paying BSc specializations as the course leads to a number of jobs and career options that can get you an average salary of around INR 6 Lakhs Per Annum.
There are a number of job opportunities in sectors such as Banks, IT departments in top MNCs, Technical Support, Software development, System Maintenance, Research & Development, Tech Consultancies, Security & Surveillance, and others.
Some of the major job profiles that a student can go for after the course completion are System Engineer, Software Engineer, Software Developer, Computer hardware Operator, etc.
The table below shows a detailed description of major job profiles after completing BSc Computer Science:
|Job Positions||Job Description|
|Software Engineer||They are responsible for developing software solutions with the help of different methods and tools. They also prepare and install solutions by determining and designing programming, etc.|
|Website Developer||Website Developers are responsible for the technical part of the website. They mainly write efficient code and follow best coding practices to develop different types of websites as needed by the employer.|
|Mobile App Developer||Like Website developers, Mobile App developers are responsible to develop efficient applications for mobile.|
|UI/UX Developer||UI/UX developers design graphic user interface elements such as menus, tabs, widgets, etc.|
|IT Supervisor||An IT Supervisor is responsible for supervising the staff and training new recruits and making sure that the work is efficiently going on in the IT department of that company or organization.|
|Network Engineer||They are the technical experts who are responsible for setting up computer networks and maintaining them.|
|Technical Writer||Technical Writers prepare manuals, journal articles, and other supporting documents necessary in the technical field.|
|Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Tester||SQA Testers usually evaluate software and applications for errors and make sure they are stable. They usually debug the scripts and identify the problems in them.|
BSc Computer Science: FAQs
Q. What is BSc Computer Science?
A. It is an undergraduate course, which is pursued after completing 3-years Diploma or Class 12.
Q. What are the eligibility criteria to apply for BSc Computer Science admission?
A. Candidates must have completed Class 12 with the minimum 45%- 60% marks.
Q. What is the duration of the BSc Computer Science course?A. It is a three-year duration course.
Q. What is the career prospect after completing BSc in Computer Science?
A. An individual possessing a BSc Computer Science degree can apply for job profiles like a computer scientist, information systems manager, networking specialist, system engineer, network programmer, etc.
Q. Which is the best company to work for after completing a BSc in Computer Science?
A. There are many elite companies like Google, Amazon, HCL, Wipro, TCS, Capgemini, Tech Mahindra, etc. where BSc Computer Science degree holders can hunt for job opportunities.
Q. Is it a correct decision to opt for BSc Computer Science admission?
A. As of now, the opportunities in IT sectors in India are at a boom. Different government schemes like Digital India, PMG Disha, etc. are providing a boost to the IT industries in India. So, we can say that it would be a correct decision to go for BSc Computer Science admission.
Q. Which is the best institute to pursue BSc in Computer Science?
A. The esteemed institutes to pursue BSc Computer Science are IITs, NITs, CFTIs. Apart from this, there are several public and private institutes in different states.