Bachelor of Arts or BA is one of the most popular undergraduate programs that students pursue right after passing class 12th in India. Usually, a three-year course Arts program is offered by colleges under various streams such as Design, Mass Communication, Hospitality, and Humanities.The duration of BA or Bachelor of Arts courses is normally three years. However, it is dependent on the type of educational institute or college and particular minors or majors.
BA Quick Facts:
- Candidates can pursue BA (Hons) or BA Programme course in a full-time, part-time, correspondence or distance education mode
- It is mandatory to study five subjects along with few elective subjects. The subjects will vary depending on the selected subject
- BA is most popular among Humanities students
BA Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for a BA course specify that:
- Candidates should have completed their 10+2 from a recognised board.
- Apart from this, some colleges also specify that aspirants should have secured a minimum of 50% aggregate marks at their Class 12 level in order to be eligible to pursue a BA course offered by them.
- Some colleges also offer 5% marks relaxation in this criteria for SC/ ST candidates.
BA VS BA Hons: Course Difference
BA or BA (Hons) courses are covered under BA Programme. But, they both are quite different when it comes to the specialisations offered or salary package. A brief about the same is given below:
|Meaning/ Overview||With all of the essential courses covered in the course curriculum, the BA course covers all aspects of the arts generally||BA Hons focuses on a single subject, such as English, Political Science, Psychology, History, economics, and so on|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 from any recognised Board||10+2 from any recognised Board & must have studied the Hons seeking subject at the qualifying level|
|Admission Procedure||Merit-based and Entrance exam both||Merit-based and Entrance exam both|
|Average Salary||Rs 2.5 lac to Rs 4.5 lac||Rs 3 lac to Rs 8 lac|
Candidates who want to pursue a BA course need to have an interest in the subjects that they choose to pursue in the course. Some of the key skills that aspirants should have in order to pursue a BA course are as mentioned below:
|Skills for BA Courses|
|Good communication skills||Problem-solving skills|
|Management skills||Analytical thinking|
|Goal-oriented||Ability to work under pressure|
|Organisation skills||Interpersonal skills|
Popular BA Entrance Exams
BA Course admissions are usually based on merit, but there are few colleges that conduct entrance exams. Given below is the list of popular BA exams that candidates can give for admission to various colleges:
|IPU CET||Azim Premji University National Entrance Test|
Read : Career Options after 10th
Popular BA Specialisations
A BA degree is most popular among students of Humanities, as it offers more specialisations than others. Tabulated below are some of the popular specialisations in BA Humanities: