LaTeX is a markup language for describing a document. It can also be defined as a document preparation system. LaTeX is mainly used to create technical or scientific articles, papers, reports, books or Ph.D. thesis.
There are a number of LaTeX distributions you can install on Ubuntu. One such distribution is TeX Live.
- To install Tex Live LaTeX distribution on ubuntu use the following command.
sudo apt-get install texlive-full
- To edit LaTeX documents we need an editor. There are a number of LaTeX editors you can find. I recommend Texmaker, a cross-platform LaTeX editor. To install Texmaker on Ubuntu use following command.
sudo apt-get install texmaker
- To open Texmaker on Ubuntu use following command.
- Now let’s create a simple document using Texmaker. Click on File -> New and insert following lines in the blank document.
- Now save the document as a ‘tex’ file by clicking File -> Save. Compile the document clicking the arrow Quick Build.
For any query or issue, feel free to discuss on http://discuss.eduguru.in