In case of software testing every company defines its own level of hierarchy, roles and responsibilities but on a broader level, if you take a look you will always find the following two levels in a software testing team:
Test lead/manager: A test lead is responsible for:
- Defining the testing activities for subordinates – testers or test engineers.
- All responsibilities of test planning.
- To check if the team has all the necessary resources to execute the testing activities.
- To check if testing is going hand in hand with the software development in all phases.
- Prepare the status report of testing activities.
- Required Interactions with customers.
- Updating project manager regularly about the progress of testing activities.
Test engineers/QA testers/QC testers are responsible for:
- To read all the documents and understand what needs to be tested.
- Based on the information procured in the above step decide how it is to be tested.
- Inform the test lead about what all resources will be required for software testing.
- Develop test cases and prioritize testing activities.
- Execute all the test case and report defects, define severity and priority for each defect.
- Carry out regression testing every time when changes are made to the code to fix defects.